Sunday 20 May 2012

DIALOGUE EXERCISE BETWEEN BENGALI MOTHER AND DAUGHTER


DIALOGUE EXERCISE

“It’s a shame that you won’t wear my red sari for your wedding. I thought it would suit you very much”, said Anita’s mum Anu.

“I really don’t wear to wear a sari Mum. I prefer a red Punjabi suit”, said Anita.

Her mum Anu looked disappointed as she spread her wedding sari over the bed. Anita was at her mum’s place to discuss the final details of her wedding to Michael.

“In my day weddings were a huge affair in Calcutta. Everyone was involved. It was a celebration. Three days of absolute joy. There would music, food, people everywhere.  Now you and Michael want a simply registry office and a small reception at a restaurant!”

“Look Michael and I don’t want a fuss”, Anita said. “Weddings are costly affairs. We rather put the money towards our own flat deposit. You taught us to be practical mum! Three days of wedding celebration – we will be bankrupt and anyway half the people you wanted to invite we don’t even know them!! We just want a small intimate ceremony, with intimate family and friends. Nothing more”.

“Doesn’t tradition mean anything to you? I know your father and I brought youyou’re your brother up in  the UK so that you would get a good education but I truly hoped you would not forget your culture, your heritage or your roots!”

“I haven’t! I am proud to be a British born Asian. I do love Calcutta and West Bengal. I love the food, the culture and the language.  But I have to follow my own heart and my own destiny mum! Why can’t you see that? I have been brought up with both cultures, I have taken the best from both and now I have to follow my own path. I can’t live up to your society’s expectations all the time!”

“Sometimes I think you and your brother have deliberately rebelled against every virtue your father and I ever held dear.  I thought your brother would be a doctor. No he went off and became a painter and I thought you would want to be a lawyer like your grandfather. He was a good Barrister. But no you went and studied Fashion and you are marrying Michael who has no understanding of our culture or customs”.

“Michael is South Indian mum and is a very good tailor with his own business. I thought that would meet your approval at least! And Rahul has does very well as a painter. You and dad did not even bother to go and see his first exhibition in New York. I love my job as a Fashion Buyer. I have done very well in it. I would have been bored out of my mind reading case papers all day! Anyway your father forced you to marry dad. I met and fell in love with Michael at a fashion show”.

“Your grandfather never forced me to marry your father. Who told you that? I was always a dutiful daughter. We were introduced and then I married your father the next day. I grew to love your father in a caring way. These days you young women want passion, love and romance!”

“Yes we do mum and I that’s what I have with Michael!” said Anita.

“And how long do you think that will last? He is not even a Brahmin”

“Michael and I have been together for five years and we are going to spend the rest of our lives together”

“How could you live with Michael without getting married first? Hmm? Your brother lives “in sin” with that Chinese pot maker”, said Anu in disgust.

“Mum, Li Ann is an artist as well and she makes beautiful pots. Anyway Michael and I were engaged when we chose to live together. Its good to live together then one knows what they are letting themselves in for”.

“But does it not take away the excitement of getting to know one another? Its like now that you and Michael are getting married you already know what its like to live together. There is nothing to look forward to. Been there and done that comes to mind”, said Anu.


“There is a lot to look forward to!”.

“Yes like what? And don’t tell me your bedroom secrets please!”

“I wasn’t going to! Well we might have a child. You will be a grandmother how about that?”

“And when will I become a grandmother? When I am gone? You and Michael are such high flyers with your careers. Would you have time to raise a child? Or maybe I will be a convenient baby-sitter. A woman should be there for her child, like I was there for you and your brother!”


“Our careers are important to us Mum! Yes of course I will be there for my child! And like you and dad I won’t be hoping for boy! I don’t care as long as the baby’s healthy. It took me years to come to terms with the fact that you and dad favoured Rahul over me. That’s’ why I was determined to carve my own life and make my own choices. Also mature mums do make good mums you know!! Michael and I have an equal partnership and we will take turns in childcare. He just won’t just leave me holding the baby!! He will do his fare share of nappy duties!! ”

“Careers? What careers? Being an accountant, a lawyer, scientist, doctors that is a career! A son is important too! They carry the family name. They look after their parents. A daughter leaves home with her husband. They go and live with their in-laws. We have to pay out your dowry and that’s expensive!” said Anu.


“That’s interesting! Because at the end of the day Rahul is in New York and I am the one who does the weekly shopping for you and dad. I am the one who takes you to your hospital appointment and sometimes I cook and clean for you. ME: your daughter!!! These days no one lives with their in-laws and Michael and I like our privacy. I get on really well with Michael’s parents and neither he nor my in-laws want a dowry for heaven sake. What do you think we live in the Dark Ages? We are paying for our own wedding!”

“Yes I can see that and you want your guest to give donations to your favourite charities as a wedding present! I thought you would like a good set of pots or pan or something for your flat to start married life off with”.

“We already got everything mum. Remember we already live together!”


“Well I guess I have to accept your point of view. In my day it was so different. But I can see the generation divide is so huge. But you are my daughter and you are a good daughter and yes I want you and your brother to be happy. If it means living your own life with your own terms I can live with that. I am your mum. I do have a right to share my opinions” said Anu.

“Yes you do. I know you have unrealistic expectations of Rahul and me and I have unrealistic expectations of you and dad as parents. I guess we just have to respect one another’s viewpoints. I really want you and dad to be at my wedding. I would hate if you weren’t there. This will be such an important day for me and Michael. I want everyone that I love to be there”.

With that Anu got up and hugged her daughter. “Of course we will be there. We love you and you are our only daughter. How could we miss your wedding day?”

With that Anu put away her wedding sari back into the wardrobe.
 (Copyright Subrata Saha 2011)











No comments:

Post a Comment