Sunday 20 May 2012

YELLOW MOUNTAINS


YELLOW MOUNTAINS


As we climb the steeped rugged surface of the mountain path I stopped for a moment to catch my breath. The scenery was spectacular. The mountains looked like luscious green – grey monuments jutting into sky to touch the sun-kissed rays of light reflecting through the wispy clouds of mist.

My ever present guide on this journey Changming gently said “Dear lady this place is truly a heavenly bliss. As our great Tang poet Li Bai said in his famous poetry prose:-

Thousands of feet high towers the Yellow Mountains
With its thirty-two magnificent peaks,
Blooming like golden lotus flowers,
Amidst red crags and rock columns.

It is a beautiful poem don’t you think? And here we are now seeing what he wrote with our own eyes!”

I thought to myself he is absolutely right. We were climbing Lotus Mountain – one of many peaks that the Yellow Mountains called their own. The mountain did look like a large giant lotus opening its giant petals to greet the Sun God or maybe the Lord Buddha himself reaching for enlightenment.

I did wonder why I had to make this journey. The ironic thing is I am scared of heights. I’ve always had a vertigo problem, but here I was now making this final journey for me and for my beloved. It had to be done. That’s what lovers do for each other.

“Come dear lady”, said Chanming ,“I want to show you something. Your husband loved these species of flowers. You really need to see them”. Chanming had been a friend and guide to my husband on these mountains. Now he was being a friend and guide to me.

Daniel had been a botanist. We met at University on the same course. We fell in love whilst studying a passion flower  (Passiflora Incarnata) believe it or not. It really was so romantic!  He loved anything to do with plants, nature and species. He came to China often to the Yellow Mountains to study its unique diverse wildlife for his University in London.

We walked over a small ridge and there my eyes widen with sheer joyful delight. There before us for were hundreds and hundreds of azaleas.  The purple haze of flowers made a rich carpet of delicate purple blossoms drinking in the moisture of the mountain springs. There were other flowers: camellia, Goddess flowers, orchids, Winter Jasmines and lilies but the azaleas stood out like proud foot soldiers in their midst.




Daniel loved azaleas. We grew them in our own back garden. He loved pottering around in the garden planting his “babies” he called them. Planting the seed, watering them, nurturing, speaking in soft tones of “plant baby language”. He had such lovely “green fingers”. I loved his hands: delicate to the touch but strong and powerful. I miss touching them, caressing them. I miss his arms around my “delicate swan neck” as he called it. His reassuring touch always made me smile.

His greenhouse was his castle. I never went in there if I could help it. It was like a jungle of catus, aloe vera’s, orchids, lilies, etc He was Mowgli in his very own “Jungle Book”. The memories flash in my mind and each image was like a colourful photographic imprint that I hope will never fade.


 Azalea are associated with the star sign Sagittarius and Daniel was typical Sagittarius. My beloved was a hard worker, footloose and fancy free, high spirited and generous: all typical qualities that a Sagittarius has. Oh I loved him and oh how I miss him.

“There is something else I want to show you. It is a very special pine tree. Come”, said Chanming.

We climbed the myriad of rocks and granite. Each granite or boulder seemed to have a face that was scowling at me. Up, up, we went following the snake-like coiled path, like the snake rising up the backbone to bring the kulandi energy into balance.

Suddenly I stopped. I was getting tired. I needed to rest. This was becoming such an emotional journey. I wish Daniel was here with me right now. I wish he had not died. I don’t want to even think how he died. I nursed him during that time. He was so brave and he died peacefully in my arms. He wanted to find a cure for all diseases on these beautiful hills. His work was published in every Science magazine around the world. He wanted people to respect nature and plant life – not to destroy it but to protect its many purposes mainly medicinal. He would lecture about it to his students. He was such a passionate man. He wanted the rainforests to be saved and every fauna to be protected for Mother Earth.

“Dear lady are you ok?”, said Chanming.

“No”, I said sob, “It s too much for me. I don’t like heights. I feel like a kite that no one is holding to keep me steady. I wish Daniel was here”.

“He is here and he is guiding you as I am. You are not alone. You need to focus. You need to remember why you are doing this. Look there is a spring not far from here. We should have drink”, said Chanming.



I nodded and followed him. Soon we arrived at the spring. Its gurgling bountiful sound of water was such a comfort. Chanming filled my drinking bottle. The water was crystal clear and helped to soften my parched throat and relax me. I felt a huge weight lift off my shoulders as if some grey cloud had finally departed from my mind. I felt better. I felt refresh to continue on our trek. It true what they say. The Yellow Mountain springs can heal. I came here to heal and soothe my bruised soul.

Finally we see the Pine Tree. Daniel’s Pine Tree. The one he liked to sit under. These beautiful trees have a tough existence on these rocks. They are like brave warriors riding out the tempest of storms on these mountains. There roots go deep underground and then remain evergreen all year round. It reminds me of my marriage to Daniel. He was the bark that protected me from the frost and ice. He was my rock who held me by my roots as I was the branches swaying in the wind with my green needles piecing the sky . Together we could weather any storm and I was determined at that moment to conquer Lotus Peak.

I see a Yellow Mountain monkey looking at me with his soulful eyes. He whispers to me to keep going. I hear his words.  We have a magical telepathic moment. Then I move upwards with Chanming.

We soon see the summit.

“Dear lady we are here”, said Chanming.

I feel a sense of relief. I feel like Edmund Hillary and Tenzing who conquered Mount Everest. I have made it at last.

As we come up to the plateau I see before me the most splendid site. The Yellow Mountains look so mystical and a thousand years of history woven through its magic rocks. So many poets and writers have written about this place. Daniel loved these mountains.

I walk up to the railing and lowered my backpack. I take out what I need to. I brought two brass locks with me. I had them especially made after Daniel died. One had my name engraved in and the other had Daniel’s. This is why I have come to Lotus peak. I came here to see the mountains Daniel loved and studied and I came for us.

“Are you ready”, said Chanming.

“Yes I am. I am so glad we did not take the lift. I am so glad I climbed”, I tell him.

“Of course! You laboured for your love by climbing this wonderful mountain and now you must finish the final act and verse”



I nodded.

I walk up to the railing and slowly lock the locks together on the railing: two lovers finally binded and entwined for eternity. There are other locks left by other people and the all came perhaps for the same reason. This is the best present I can give my Valentine on Valentine’s Day today.


“This is for us Daniel. This is for our love and may it last forever through time and space.  May no key ever unlock it and I love you dear husband and I know I will see you one day again”.


With that I feel Daniel’s presence beside me and his hand touching my “swan neck”. He is here with me forever. I smile at Chanming . He smiles back.

Suddenly I see a bird. I recognise it at once. It the Yellow Mountain Musician or Love Bird. The other name is red billed leiothrix. They say if there is one bird it does not sing but pair it with its mate both do sing. Just as the moment the Love Bird is joined by his mate and they both start to sing. It’s a sign. For so long my heart would not sing anymore since Daniel’s passing. I thought the grief would kill me but now at this moment I feel my heart can sing again. I feel at peace. I feel the circle is complete.  

My journey had finished. Now I must continue my husband’s work.

As I climb down the mountain with Chanming , I  realise I am no longer scared of heights. It is a miracle indeed and I feel healed.

By Subrata Saha

( 14/02/2011)

30-30-30













No comments:

Post a Comment