Sunday 20 May 2012

MONOLOGUE WITH MATISSE


MONOLOGUE EXERCISE   - PINNER WRITER’S GROUP (19TH April 2011)


THE WOMAN WITH THE HAT - A MONOLOGUE WITH MATISSE. BY SUBRATA SAHA.




I enter the San Francisco of Mordern Art  and make my way to see a painting that truly fascinates me and to talk to the artist who painted this vivid masterpiece on canvas.

He is there sitting quietly looking at the said portrait. I slowly go and sit next to him. He nods to me in acknowledgement this lovely elderly gentleman in spectacles wearing a simple artist hat.. I feel a sense of great respect and sheer admiration for these masters of masters. I can only see and sense him. The rest of the museum and its chaos of tourists, staff and curators vanish into the background of all this modern art.

“It such a pleasure to finally have met you Monsieur Matisse. Thank you so much for coming. I have so many things to say to you and I know you can only hear me but not respond to my words”

I look at the portrait that Matisse had painted nearly 106 years ago. It may have been a rushed job but it is magnificent in my eyes.

“She is the most elegant woman I have ever seen and she was your wife for 42 years?  I would like to describe to you what the painting means to me.”

Matisse nods to me again so I continue…..

“When I first heard of you as a creative artist, I was so fascinating by your work. I like the fact that in the early part of the 20th century that you, Van Gogh, Cezanne, Guaguin, Toulouse all took the bold step to move away from the convention art to paint with such bold colours, no defining lines, abstract at it best and to use your imagination and vision , to experiment and to rebel. It must have been so fresh and new.

When I see your wife Amelia’s portrait I love the way the colours oozes and permeates through the canvas: a kaleidoscope of vivid blues, pink and browns. I keep thinking to myself she does not smile at all in this portrait. Why doesn’t she smile Matisse? Many of your models who have sat for you never smiled.  Its likes her soul would like to break free from the shackles that bind her to society and the colours seem to convey telepathically her inner most feelings.

I have to say it’s not the most sensual portrait of a woman with its harsh features and bold use of black lines to outline Amelia’s face especially her eyes. Would a woman really want to be painted blue with patches of pink? But then there is something about “THE WOMAN WITH A HAT” that raises so many questions. Who is she? Why does she look so sad?”

She is well dressed here with her enormous hat and fan. She is dressed at the height of fashion. She is a lady of good breeding and class. But has the fashion become a burden? Is that why her hat is not so well defined or that the fan is gently covering the soul of her heart: to hide her burden and sorrow? She does not want us to see her heart but her feelings are conveyed by her eyes and slender nose.

 She seems to want to break free from the invisible cage that binds. Her hat seems to be a heavy weight on her shoulders a weight that she wants to free herself from. Amelia your wife was a hat maker. How many women have felt like this over the centuries? I know at times I too want to be free of the burden that our modern society throws at us women.

However I do feel blessed to live in a time when women have more choices. I feel this painting with its rich bright colours does offer those choices to a woman of my generation. The colours reflect the fact that we can break free of any burden if we truly want it.

I know at times Amelia and your other models were shocked by the paintings you did of them. It would have been an honour for me to have sat for you: to be a part of your rainbow of colours of reds, yellows, pinks, blues, oranges, purple and greens. The opaqueness the dexterity and brightness.

I know woman were important to you. I won’t go into details about how important they were to you. Male artists from Leonardo Da Vinci through to you must have found women an inspiration. We are the muse of your hearts. We are the heart and soul of your work. What would you do without us?

It is such a shame that critics in 1905 criticised this painting. Your public mocked you. They hated the fieriness of your colours. They called you and other modern artists “Fauves” – beasts. They lack vision as far as I am concerned. I know you must have been deeply hurt but as always took refuge in your work. You never wavered from your unique style and I feel proud of you. Today you are celebrated for your style. In the Olympic Logo can vouch for that as well as your final masterpiece at the Matisse Chapel.

I feel as a creative artist I will follow my own path like you and express myself the way I want to through my work. That is what art is about. Expression not suppression”

“I hope the “Woman With The Hat” finds the peace of mind she seeks. It is not a painting of sorrow, grief or despair for me but one of great hope”

Matisse smiles at me. I have said all that I needed to say to him as an artist and admirer of his work. I feel he understands women and I feel he understands me.
























.



No comments:

Post a Comment